Tuesday, March 9, 2010

running, yoga, a little riding

The Florida part of the weekend started late due to an NIH SBIR study section in DC on Thursday and Friday. There were a lot of grants to review. The good part was that we got to stay at the Hotel Palomar in Dupont Circle, a very nice Kimpton Hotel. The bad part was that there were a lot of grants to review (which isn’t really fair as many of them were quite interesting and the study section is a great group). During the day, I checked in on Red Hills Live Scores, http://www.evententries.com/livescoring/index.php for the dressage outcomes. Friday evening, I headed down to Orlando, arriving fairly late, so going straight to the condo and sleep. Saturday morning, I started the day with some work and then yoga at Full Circle. It was a really beautiful day, bright sunny and promising to be genuinely warm. After yoga, off to Disney’s ESPN Sports Complex for the Disney Princess Half Marathon expo, www.disneyprincesshalfmarathon.com. Got my number, goodie bag etc and then headed to Ashmore. I heard from Hilda that she decided not to run Extravagance, so would be home on Sunday, leaving me looking forward to lessons and meeting the trial pony that she was kind enough to pick up for me, since he was conveniently near Red Hills. Saturday evening back to the usual spot at the bar at the Cheesecake Factory for a light dinner, then early to bed because Sunday morning was very early. No, that isn’t even correct. Sunday morning was still night. I got up at 3:10 am and I’m pretty sure that more people consider that hour Saturday night than consider it Sunday morning. Put on cute pink running skirt (it is the Princess Half Marathon after all), other gear and headed off to Epcot. The start line stuff went smoothly, but it was pretty chilly (38 degrees and damp). After an hour of milling around, using the porta-potties, and standing in the corral, I was seriously shivering when our start gun (accompanied by lovely pink fireworks) went off, but figured, “running now – I’ll warm up” Well, not so much. At mile 3, my toes were still cold. At mile 6, my fingers were still blue, although by then, the sun was working on coming out. Didn’t toss the throwaway sweater until mile 10, but really enjoyed miles 8-12 of the run. Apparently, the “alternate exercise training for the half marathon program” is working out ok because I ran a reverse split and finished in my pretty usual time frame feeling quite fine. Headed back to Winter Park, had a shower, bagel and tea and then back to Full Circle for a lovely yoga class. It is true that savasana at the end of class was not relaxation or meditation in the yogic sense, but rather a very nice nap. Then off to the barn where shortly after I arrived, so did Hilda and the trial pony. He is a cute little bay package and a lovely mover. He is a total mix including Trakehner, Thoroughbred, Paint, Russian Warmblood, and Dutch Warmblood. He also needs a name as I don’t like the one he came with. Considering Perfect Mix for a show name, but then need a barn name. Alternately Tres Melange for show name, Trey for barn name or Pick a Mix for show name, Pico for barn name. I also like the idea of Meritage (wine) for the show name, but can’t figure out the barn name to go with it (Vino?). All suggestions gladly accepted. Need to get him named by Thursday as he is getting vetted then and want to put a name on the coggins. After he got to hang out in the pasture for about 30 minutes with Extravagance (and let me just say, they were really cute together. I hope Extravagance is imparting all kinds of Advanced Event Horse wisdom to the new kid), I tacked him up and put him on the lunge. He was very quiet despite a jumping lesson going on in the arena, so I hopped on. No worries, other than pretty much total lack of steering or a clue, but he remained quiet and we were able to walk and trot around the arena, trot over 3 poles on the ground and pop over a tiny vertical, all with no concerns (and no steering). He remained quiet and easy throughout. I’m looking forward to playing with him this coming weekend, sadly the last Florida weekend of the season.

No comments: