Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sorting it out in Aiken

After a 12 mile run on Sunday morning, followed by brunch at New Moon Cafe (during which I think I sold 2 ipads and met someone who breeds trakehners here in Aiken), I headed out to ride Tag. We had the proverbial good news and bad news. The good news, Tag was great. Totally his normal, quiet self. Perhaps a bit less willing to keep his nose down, as there are so many interesting things to look at, especiallly after so much time in the indoor. We did wtc around the jump field, no worries. The bad news was that the "emergency" saddle did not fit him at all. Nor did it fit me at all. In fact, it is good he was well-behaved as I doubt I could have stayed in that saddle through any bad behavior. So, back to the drawing board. Megan Pappler kindly offered the loan of her saddle, so Monday, I tried it out, but also too narrow. Last attempt was an old county profi at a reasonable price from oak manor saddlery in Aiken. It fit acceptably well, just needing a bump pad to raise the cantle. It is also comfortable enoough that I can imagine riding a green horse over his first xc jumps in it without immediately picturing all sorts of dire outcomes. Jumping lesson Tuesday, so we will see how it works in real use. Where did I put that neck strap?

No comments: