Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rehab is the name of the game

And not the Betty Ford sort. My dad was discharged to home today, but will have a fair bit of rehab in front of him to get back to full function. My road is the much easier one. I got the brace off my hand today and now can get back to full exercise and activity to get myself back in shape. The wrist is surprising stiff and a bit sore, but as I have heard from everyone about both the wrist and the back injury, "let the pain be your guide." Is that like Phillip Dutton saying, "let the fence be the bit" or am I mixing my metaphors. The back will go out on its first test-elliptical this evening, seemed a better starting point that actually running, as much as I want to. First ride will be Sunday, on a horse that will *not* take advantage of any perceived weakness, which I'm sure I'll have plenty of.

Last weekend was TD apprenticing at Full Gallop with Cindy DePorter. Cindy is great, a great TD, mentor, horsewoman and, of course, pot-bellied pig owner! We had a lot of fun including a nice dinner at Casa Bella with Todd Richardson, course builder extraordinaire and now course designer for the BN, Novice and Training courses at Full Gallop. Kudos to Todd and to Tremaine, who designed the preliminary course, for their well-designed, nicely flowing and inviting courses. I walked all four courses (measuring as I went) and liked them all. Chimene Evans, who owns Tempo, rode her horse Kurious in his first preliminary and finished 3rd. They looked great where I saw them on XC. There were more troubles on the Novice and BN than on the preliminary and training, including a surprising number of missed fence TEs at Novice and a couple of SJ eliminations. I learned a lot and am looking forward to the rest of my busy apprenticing and unrecognized TDing schedule this summer and fall. I will also be doing some volunteering, and plan to compete once I finish the rehab part of the program (like the recovery part, I'm sure red wine will play an important role, though I've heard rumours of Margaritas at Waredaca this weekend).

No comments: